Circa 1910's Vintage Fireman Coat ”岩間 "(Iwama Town) / 岩間町消防団 第十三分団員 / Reversible / Heavy Thick Cotton Woven
Period: Circa 1910s
Material: Thick & heavy cotton weaving fabric
Pattern: Japanese letters '岩間町消防団 第十三分団員' meaning 'the member of the 13th fire department of Iwama Town. In the circle at the back, the letters '岩間 (Iwama) is the name of the town.
The coat was made from multiple layers of quilted cotton cloth using a process known as the stitching technique called 'sashiko-刺し子技法', which makes tough and thick cotton material.
This coat can be worn as reversible and you can find the illustration of a fireman flag called "Matoi (纏) applied using a special dyeing method. Matoi is an emblem that represents the firefighting brigade it belongs to and was used to communicate various messages during emergencies, such as indicating the location of a fire, signalling instructions to the brigade, or coordinating their efforts at the scene. In contemporary times, the Matoi remains a symbol of Japan's firefighting heritage and is sometimes used in ceremonial events, parades, or cultural displays to honour the traditions of the past.
Shoulders: 70 cm / 27.55 inches
Pit to pit: 67cm / 26.37 inches
Length: 100 cm / 39.37 inches
Sleeve length (Shoulders to cuff) : 34cm / 13.38 inches
Sleeve depth: 26cm / 10.23 inches
Arms Around: 60cm / 23.62 inches
All measurements are taken from the back when the kimono is placed on a flat surface.
The measurements are approximate.
Good vintage condition.
- One button is missing
- There are some small marks (colour fading, see picture 5) and may be mild sign of age.
I try to describe the kimono as accurate as possible.
(please see pictures for closer looks).
Size: free size
kimonos are almost box-shape. it will fit many sizes. Shoulder seam should drop your actual shoulder.
Please contact us if you have any questions before the purchase.
All sales in my shop are final.
- Payment can be made through PayPal or ETSY Direct checkout. You can pay through PayPal using a credit card without signing up for a PayPal account.
- Payment must be made within 36 hours of purchase. If it is not, the sale will be canceled and appropriate feedback left. Please contact if you have problems.
I ship within 5 working days via Royal Mail 1st class signed for (with proof of delivery) in the UK . I can upgrade to Royal Mail Special Delivery (trackable and £500 compensation) if you prefer- please convo me for options and a quote.
For international shipping, I ship via Royal Mail International Tracked & Signed (Delivery confirmation available) , if you prefer cheaper option or upgrade please contact me.
For more information, visit http://www.royalmail.com/price-finder.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
- All sales are final.
- Color may vary from monitor to monitor; returns are not accepted for reasons to do with color.
- Returns are not accepted if something doesn't fit, so please be familiar with your measurements. I'm happy to provide any additional information / measurements that you might need.
- All of my items are vintage and pre-loved unless mentioned. I do my best to note any flaws, however, it is possible that a garment may have a small flaw that has accidentally been overlooked. I will offer a refund only if an item has been largely misrepresented.
- Returns of this nature must be return postmarked within 3 days of receipt, and received in the condition in which they were sent out. Return shipping is the responsibility of the buyer.
For wholesale enquiries please feel free to contact me.